Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Broadcasting To The World From My UK Blog

Right, here's what I want you to do. Watch the video for the Sandi Thom song 'I Wish I Was a Punk Rocker (With Flowers In My Hair)'.




Done it? Good, now it's stuck in your head too.

This song really annoys me for so many different reasons. For a start not a day goes by at the moment without me hearing it somewhere and once I've heard it that damn tune stays in my head for the rest of the day. I just can't get it out. It doesn't matter what else I listen to there it is, lurking in the back of my head, waiting to pounce when I'm least expecting it. Help me. Please.
The other thing to really annoy me about this song is the way it has been promoted. Since it has come out I haven't been able to get away from the phrase: 'The singer who broadcast to the world from her Tooting basement.' Now whether she is actually from Tooting or perhaps just has a particularly smelly basement, I don't know. What I do know is that if I hear that expression again I will have to hurt someone... or break down in tears, whichever happens sooner. There are stickers all over her singles and albums with that expression on and every time Sandi Thom gets a mention on the Tv or radio some unimaginitive twit has to repeat it. Why? Do we really know nothing else about her? Why aren't other recording artists advertised in the same way?

Pearl Jam- Not broadcasting to the world from anywhere because they're too shy to do videos.
Kaiser Chiefs- Eating chips from their local take away.
George Michael- Pleasuring the world from a public toilet.

Okay, that last one probably has been used but you get the idea. When it's all you keep hearing it gets very boring very quickly.

Now to the song title itself. 'I Wish I Was a Punk Rocker (With Flowers In My Hair) - You see what you've done there is you've confused 'punk rockers' with 'hippies.' Honestly now, what self respecting punk rocker is going to be wearing flowers in their hair?
Unless of course she's singing about being the bastard love child of a punk and a hippy which to me just sounds like eugenics gone mad. Punks and hippies should never be allowed to cross breed. Who knows what could happen.

10 Comments:

Blogger AlieMalie said...

hehehe. i hate those ear worms. good luck getting it out of your head.

:)
AM

3:52 am  
Blogger The Neath said...

Get it off me! Get it off me! Ear worm!
All I can think of now is that scene in Star Trek: Wrath of Khan.
No wonder Chekhov and his captain were driven mad- the worms were broadcasting Sandi Thom (probably direct from her tooting basement).
:-D

11:21 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tooting. Funny.

You'll be pleased (at least a bit) to know that it's all just a marketing stunt. She's a PR creation, carefully groomed (not like that) after being grown in a lab (like Serpentor). Allegedly.

Punk/Hippy cross would possibly be something like me - permanently angry, randomly distructive but likes it outdoors and is generally a lazy arse, so achieves nothing. Ooh look, a shiny beetle...

5:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All together now..1..2..3



KHAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!!!

5:07 pm  
Blogger The Neath said...

"KHAAAAAAAAAN!"
:) That's never getting old. Ever.

If she had ended up actually looking more like Serpentor that would have been awsome! Next time I see the video I'll be imagining her wearing a giant snakes head on her bonce. It should improve the experience no end.

1:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What would you call a punk/hippy hybrid?

4:22 pm  
Blogger The Neath said...

A puppy.

6:39 pm  
Blogger korova said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:00 pm  
Blogger korova said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:02 pm  
Blogger korova said...

I keep trying to post a link but it won't let me post the whole thing!!! So you'll have to do it the long way. Go to my page, click on Charlie Brooker and read his article from 9th June. Then laugh.

7:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home