Saturday, August 26, 2006

The Tower of Lurve

I'm going through another one of those horrible transitional periods at work where I feel like I'm doing two jobs badly instead of one job... er, badly.

Once again it's already time for me to move on to a new role within my place of work as all of the people in the same post as me start to change around. Kind of like musical chairs, but with employment.

The main difference this time is that rather than taking on a new department within my usual place of work I'm now off to a whole new building. It's only twenty minutes down the road but it has it's own car park which is a huge bonus for me, especially as part of my role means traveling out to visit branches. Not easy when you normally have a thirty minute walk to your car first.
I should be back at my original place of work come next September (2007) but until then I'm going to enjoy the luxury of that parking space.

We used to have parking where I currently work but they sold the land to build flats on at the same time most of the other car parks in the area were having a shopping centre built on them. Hence the long trek to a car park. Don't get me started. Although the absolute worse thing about the flats at the back of our building could actually be the fact that the builders have built up high enough to get a great view straight in to the staff toilets.
Nice.

The place I am going to has a large tower attached to the side of the building. Eleven floors full of books to explore. That could be even better than the car park.
Although...

I heard some rather disturbing stories the other day. It seems that the tower has a rather sordid history as some sort of strange librarian love nest.
The story goes that one member of staff became trapped up on floor 11 when one couple burst in and started having sex in the middle of the room. They were so mortified that they had to stay hidden behind the shelving until they had gone. Now I don't think any amount of embarrasment could make me want to stay in that situation for too long. I'd at least give a discreet cough and bang some books around to try and warn them someone else was in the room.
Maybe it's my fear of heights making me biased but I just can't see the sense in it. You have a cold hard floor at the top of the tower and it is freezing, especially in winter. The only explanation I can offer is that one day a couple of them were huddling together for warmth and one thing led to another. Either that or there are some really good books up there.

4 Comments:

Blogger AlieMalie said...

maybe the 11th floor is where they keep the Kama Sutra?

:)
AM

3:05 am  
Blogger nigs the ninja said...

i think the 11th floor is where the baby books are....honest as i been there!!!!!

7:22 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe they keep the baby books and the kama sutra there -hmmm...aren't you guys expecting a baby soon?!?

5:49 pm  
Blogger The Neath said...

Yes, but I can gaurentee he wasn't conceived up there!
:D

8:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home