Sunday, May 07, 2006

All the fun of the (comic) fare

Today I was off to the Royal National Hotel in London. They were holding a comicbook marketplace thing there so Nigs, Redrawn and myself met up at Victoria station to head over and investigate.

I hadn't been to one of these events for what must be nearly 10 years. In that time I've changed jobs, married, divorced, fallen for a woman with a near limitless patience for my geekiness and become a dad. With that in mind it felt strange to be going back to one of these.

Nigs had brought his wife along, presumably in case he ran out of cash or (more likely) to make sure he didn't go overboard and hire a truck to take home all the comics he was finding. It was his first time at one of these but judging from the number of bags he left with I'm sure it won't be his last.

Redrawn showed an amazing amount of restraint purchasing just one 'Serenity' graphic novel the whole day while I decided to relive my childhood and picked up some of the new 'Transformers' titles floating around. As I write this I still haven't read them yet, convinced they can't possibly live up to my memories of the issues I read when I was much younger. I'll bite the bullet eventually but until then I did manage to get a copy of 'Batman: Dark Victory' that I had been after for ages.

I think Redrawn was just happy to be around people geekier than him.

Even better was the fact that when I got home Spider baked some cakes (she's a great cook but hates baking). You probably think the fact I bought 'Transformer' comics is bad enough so I won't mention the fact that the cakes have little icing Mr. Men on them.

However Spider wasn't too pleased later that evening when we played the Lord of the Rings DVD edition of Trivial Pursuit we'd recently bought. After collecting all of her little cheeses she then spent the rest of the game trying to get to the centre of the board for a winning question. I had one cheese at that point and then promptly managed to get all of my other ones, headed straight for the middle of the board, landing there on my first try, answered the question and won.

I'm glad she made those cakes before we played.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Neath said...

Start saving!
Or you could get a reprint, but that's just not showing any dedication. Issue 1 is the yellow tights special issue. It's a bargain!

9:40 pm  
Blogger The Neath said...

Also: Next time we won't take the stairs!

8:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home