Friday, September 08, 2006

Star Trekkin'

Star Trek celebrates its 40th birthday today which makes me happy, mainly because it's older than me.
For my money the original crew was the best. None of the other casts came close to the interaction you got between Kirk, Spock and Bones.
The Next Generation was watchable for a while but eventually I got bored by it- I still haven't seen the final few episodes. 'DS9' just never really grabbed my attention. Again some of the blandness that seems to plague much of Trek put me off, the same way it did with 'Enterprise.'
As for Voyager, don't get me started. I fell asleep watching the first episode and never looked back.
I think the original series was just too hard an act to follow. Captain Kirk was a velour clad Shaft, McCoy was a grumbly old curmudgeon (something we can all aspire to) and Spock was the kid you picked on at school for having sticky out ears and a bowl cut. Picard was okay as a captain in a believably commanding type prescence sort of way but I still believe Kirk could have kicked his arse, torn shirt and all. DS9's most exciting character was a shapeshifter who could turn in to furniture and Captain Janeway sounded like she had swallowed a kazoo.
Let's face it- none of the later Trek spin offs could hold a candle to Babylon 5, but that's probably a post for another time.
Something that is quite worrying is the news that they are making a new Star Trek film that goes back to the original series. How they can hope to replace the original actors is beyond me. While there must be generations of people now that haven't seen it, would these people really be interested in any Star Trek movie? The long term Trekkers (or is it Trekkies, I can never remember) are probably going to hate anything that tries to rewrite the characters they know and love. Having said that some of those fans have gone out and done the very same thing themselves. Take a look here if you don't believe me.

I suppose only time will tell if this new film works or not but I for one think it's about time they let Trek rest for a bit.





Captain Kirk enjoys the latest of his alien lovers.

6 Comments:

Blogger nigs the ninja said...

sky tv is running a week of 40th star trek stuff ....and yes ive been watching it , and why not its gooood

7:29 am  
Blogger korova said...

I bloody hate Star Trek!! Sorry, someone had to lower the tone!!! I would rather be covered in soft cheese and have it licked off by an amorous badger. Mmmmmm....well, gotta go.........

5:30 pm  
Blogger Spider said...

I hate to tell you this neath but kirk was never anything more than a fat ugly raging hormne while picard had class as well as command presence but after the god awfull enterpize series they just need to leave the trek alone and you need to stop fantasising about getting some kirk lovin

8:22 pm  
Blogger The Neath said...

Hi Redrawn- DS9 was a pale imitation of B5 without the cool looking space battles or interesting characters. From what little I saw once Worf came in to it the show descended in to little more than characters trying to get their leg over each week. Or am I being unfair- after all I've just said I like Kirk...?

Nigs- So what is it? Trekkers or Trekkies?

Korova- Is this because none of the Star Trek franchises were created between 1991- 4? The cultural zenith of all things korovian.

Spider- Everybody needs a little Kirk lovin'.

11:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What 'rest of the episode'?! You're describing the entire first season!!!

11:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, the Korovian. We've invented geek stratigraphy!

e.g. the Rhubian - an age identified by it's preponderence of crack-whores. And bees!

11:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home