Thursday, March 09, 2006

Blast From The Past

I got an email from my mate Simon recently with the words 'Ha, Ha. Remember This?' written in the subject box. That's going to ring alarm bells straight away but thankfully it wasn't that bad.

Apparently he had tapped his name in to google to see what came up and lo and behold he got a result.
To cut a long story short he was in contact with a group of people who were publishing their own x-men stories on the net at the time and they in turn were in contact with all around comics god Warren Ellis. The result of this was that they organised to meet up with Ellis at a pub in Victoria Station, just above WHSmith. Simon was invited along for the weekend and he in turn invited me.

To be honest with you I was a little freaked out to be surrounded by people who were bigger geeks than me (and I pride myself on being a HUGE geek), so I was a little on the quiet side over the weekend. They all knew each other already and I did feel a bit of an intruder. I'm also a miserable unsociable bastard at the best of times.

The unfortunate yet predictable outcome of all this was that they seemed to blank me from their memories completely so it must have come as a hell of a surprise the following week when they get the photos developed and can't work out who the stunningly good looking bloke is that crops up in all their pictures.

Now it could be that I'm just like the Shadow and have the power to cloud mens minds and I do, but thats not the point. It could also be that on each of their individual journeys home there was a freak head knocking incident that erased me from their memories but that's far too much of a coincidence and besides, how difficult would it be to engineer that level of selective mind wiping armed with nothing but a 2x4. Very, I can tell you.

Still, it's not all bad. As you can see the description leading to the pic says "See pic of someone, Simon, Jill, Andrew, Chris, Paul and Vorpal at the front. "

So there it is, I'm forever immortalised on the net as a 'someone'. That's almost as good as being credited as 'Third Stormtrooper From The Left'. And as Simon said... At least you're not immortalised as 'thinks he's a gherkin'.

Very true.

If you want to just skip to the picture, now a legend in its own blog, try this. Like I say, I'm the good looking one :-)

Peace.

9 Comments:

Blogger korova said...

talking of comics, you may be interested in this site (if you havenĀ“t already been there!!) : http://www.comicbookresources.com/.

12:08 pm  
Blogger The Neath said...

Nice. Cheers!

8:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always remember being a "someone" sure beats the hell out of being a no one.

7:51 pm  
Blogger The Neath said...

...or a gherkin!

11:08 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'k off!

12:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xulub, are you gherkin?

8:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a phase.

8:19 am  
Blogger The Neath said...

It's a little known fact that the Chicxulub Crater was actually caused by an inbound gherkin.

Hopefully that should put an end to all that 'meteor killed the dinosaurs' nonsense for good.

10:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Twas an Astral Starfish actually. (stop sniggering, you mucky children)

It's a genuine scientific theory. Well, it's a genuine theory by scientists (who should have been paying attention to their lectures).

I drew diagrams and everything.

12:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home