Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Of insults & injuries

I was trying to convince MC last night that 'The Crow' was a horror film. We had been having a discussion about what makes a good horror film and what place romance has, if any, in that genre after an argument on the merits of the Dracula film starring Gary Oldman. My argument was based on the fact that 'The Crow' is a gothic horror story, in that it doesn't rely on gore and has themes of love and redemption running through it. Oh, and a lot of the action takes place at night. However I managed to fall in to her admittedly impressive trap when I said something like "It's gothic horror because you have the horror of what happened to them and his need to come back for revenge."

"So," she said, "You think 'Ghost' is a horror film."

She knows how to hurt me.

5 Comments:

Blogger Hageltoast said...

The Crow is definately a horror and it's a truly awesome movie. I love the graphic novel too. :)

Ghost horrifies me, does that count?

12:00 pm  
Blogger The Neath said...

Hi Hageltoast- Thanks for backing me up.
: )
The Crow is easily one of the best graphic novels I've ever read. It's a shame it doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

As for Ghost... hmm, I think I'll have to give up my argument and agree with you there.

8:43 pm  
Blogger Spider said...

Look ghost horrifies me too, (not in a scary kind of way but in a my god there are that many people out there who rate this film with that much bad taste and i dont have enough bullets).
But that does not change the fact that the crow is not horror I want to be scared by my horror, (the only film to achieve this so far is Event Horizon) and the crow while undoubtably a great film was not a horror it just was not scary, it was a romance so neath just admit you love the chick flicks

10:26 am  
Blogger Spider said...

Rhub for someone who was scared by the golems in the chick flick the Decsent, (I was terrified more watching Bridget Jones, admitedly by the thought of hugh grant acctually being fanciable), therefore you have no say in whats horror or not.
Its not gothic horror, its like Bram Stokers dracula (the film not the book)-a gothic romance. Its just ghost with better music and acting but the basic plot is the same so by your argument ghost is a horror.
p.s. as you have met my freaky family you must admit- meet the parents now thats a horror film

6:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and don't forget the fear of bees. Rhub must need medical intervention in the underpant department after 5 minutes of Candyman.

You're all full of shit. It's an ACTION movie, arguably superhero, certainly gothic and supernatural, but not that far from Commando or Brandon Lee's other movies when you boil it down.

Ghost is certainly horror by Spider's definition. Horror that more characters don't die more horribly.

Damn japanese cars!

7:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home